Item #: SCP-1837
Object Class: Euclid
Special Containment Procedures: SCP-1837 is currently uncontained. Its containment procedures are under review. One copy of every known variation of SCP-1837 is to be stored in a locked container in the Anomalous Appliances storeroom in Site-161. Any new specimens are to be slated for explosive ordinance disposal (EOD). All suspect or discarded lightbulbs found at Site-16 are to be treated as instances of SCP-1837.
By directive of the O5 Council, Site-16 is not to be abandoned, and SCP-1837 must be contained. Only D-Class personnel decontaminating Site-16 and their security escorts will be allowed into areas of Site-16 with extant fluorescent lighting.
All bulb- and fluorescent- based lighting at Site-16 is to be phased out in favor of LED or mirror-based lighting. As of ██/██/████, all lightbulbs have been added to the Site-16 Restricted Items List. No lightbulbs are to leave Site-16 at any time. Vehicles entering and exiting Site-16 topside must check their headlight and lamp bulbs at the perimeter of the facility.
Site-16 is not to be used as a containment facility for any visual cognitohazards, observational SCP's, or any Euclid or Keter class objects. All Site-16 staff are to be screened for any symptoms of photosensitive epilepsy. When in Site-16, all personnel must carry opaque goggles and equip them during any visual anomalies.
If SCP-1837 undergoes an Paroxystic Phase, all personnel are to immediately vacate the area slowly and silently and make no attempt to assist the affected subject. D-Class personnel are to be abandoned until SCP-1837 ceases activity. Priority personnel are to be separated from SCP-1837 by personnel wearing opaque goggles.
In the event instances of SCP-1837 are identified outside of Foundation custody, SCP-1837 will be reclassified as Keter and Protocol 1837-Quark is to be enacted. Power is to be cut to the affected area and MTF-Kappa-12 "Circuit Breakers," posing as Occupational Safety and Health Administration officials, are to strip and destroy all lighting. Class-C amnesiacs will be administered to all witnesses.
Description: SCP-1837 consists of 28 78 96 incandescent incandescent and fluorescent lightbulbs collected from various light fixtures within Site-16. Instances of SCP-1837 are visually identical to and functionally indistiguishable from normal lightbulbs until they undergo a Paroxystic Phase. This consists of:
- SCP-1837 and nearby incandescant or fluorescent lights will appear to burn out.
- After 30 seconds to 5 minutes, SCP-1837 will relight and flash between 2 and 10 times per second.
- SCP-1837 will arrest the gaze of the first person to make eye contact with SCP-1837. The subject becomes completely unable to look away or move away from SCP-1837. Subjects will invariably scream (pausing only to inhale) during the duration of this effect.
- SCP-1837 will continue to arrest the gaze of the subject until a person or persons has been lured to assist the subject. SCP-1837 and nearby specimens of of SCP-1837 will begin to flash rapidly, reaching a strobe effect of 20-60hz. Exposure to the strobe effect induces a state similar to moderate to severe photosensitive epilepsy, invariably triggering low intensity partial seizures which grow to become severe complex partial seizures over the course of 2.5 to 5 minutes. Personnel moving slowly and silently will not trigger this effect. If no personnel arrive within 15 minutes, SCP-1837 progresses to stage 6.
- Electrical surges from SCP-1837 may cause malfunctions on the local power grid and affect the operation of nearby electronics.
- SCP-1837 will, if left uninterrupted, eventually speed the pace of its strobe effect to over 150 hz. The strobe effect has been clocked at up to approximately ████ hz. Subjects' complex partial seizures will reach the tonic and clonic phase in 100% of cases. Subjects who undergo a tonic-clonic seizure induced by SCP-1837 will pass into a permanent coma. SCP-1837 will cease activity within 10 minutes of reaching ████ hz.
- Personnel with pre-existing photosensitive epilepsy will progress to the above symptoms within 20 seconds of initial exposure.
Comatose subjects convulse constantly in a state consistent with severe clonic effects of a grand mal seizure. No personnel have been brought out of a convulsant coma induced by SCP-1837. At this stage, euthanasia may be administered to any affected Foundation personnel. Personnel affected by SCP-1837 are to be quarantined for study in the Site-16 Medical Wing. Median lifespan of subjects afflicted with SCP-1837 comas is 67 days.
SCP-1837 appear to act in unison and will coordinate Paroxystic Phases to terminate lighting in specific areas of Site-16. Charting known Paroxystic Phases across the Site-16 map has revealed a strong preference for activating near containment and transfer chambers of visual cognitohazards.
No method of identifying SCP-1837 prior to an Paroxystic Phase has been found. After Site-16 was stripped of incandescant lighting, SCP-1837 was considered contained. Following Incident 1837-A-06142011, fluorescent bulbs are now to be considered instances of SCP-1837. Other bulbs, such as flashlights, gun lights, spotlights, and even vacuum tubes may be affected. New lightbulbs of any kind entering Site-16 appear to randomly become instances of SCP-1837.