potatoes
rating: 0+x
potatoes.png
Victims of SCP-XXXX found in ██████, █████

Item #: SCP-XXXX

Object Class: Keter

Special Containment Procedures: Instances of SCP-XXXX pose great potential to replicate extremely quickly and only 1 (one) instance is to be kept, while other instances are to be incinerated. SCP-XXXX is to be kept inside of a locked freezer inside of the testing lab of Research Sector-██. Temperatures are to never exceed -1.1°C (30°F), and no ice or liquids are to be kept inside. The freezer is to be cleaned daily with a dry sponge to absorb any traces of liquids. Access to SCP-XXXX is to only be given by the written consent of at least 2 (two) Level-4 staff members.

Description: SCP-XXXX is a strain Solanum tuberosum, or potato, which possesses the ability to be able to self-replicate rapidly. In it's inert state, SCP-XXXX is indiscernible from a regular potato of the same strain, but can grow exponentially by a factor of up to ██² weekly in it's activated state. Once SCP-XXXX has grown to ███ times it's normal size, it will begin separating into normal-sized Solanum tuberosum potatoes (Which will be referred to as SCP-XXXX-b), creating hundreds of potatoes from one fully grown activated spud. Any contact with water or a liquid with a large water content will activate SCP-XXXX's growing period. Once access to water has been broken, SCP-XXXX will begin separating, regardless of size.

SCP-XXXX-b that are made from budding off of an instance of SCP-XXXX create extremely intense pheromones that attract nearby humans mammals. See Document-XXXX for chemical tests of pheromones. If the potatoes are consumed by a human mammal, a reaction inside of the stomach between the raw potato flesh and the gastric acids creates ██ potato tubers to be embedded throughout the digestive tract. The potato tubers will attach themselves throughout the walls of the digestive tract, including the stomach, small intestines, large intestines, and colon. The tubers will grow over a period of 3 weeks, slowly converting the digestive tract into SCP-XXXX, and eventually spreading into the rest of the body, similar to a disease. At the last stage of the disease, the exterior of the victim's body will begin to form a hard and starchy surface, effectively turning the victim into another instance of SCP-XXXX, which will then begin separating into instances of SCP-XXXX-b. The last instance of SCP-XXXX-b to separate will have an impression of the victim's face at the time of first consumption of SCP-XXXX-b on the surface. SCP-XXXX has nearly no effect on the Irish, investigations into their immunity are inconclusive.

potatomutation.png
SCP-XXXX in an early stage of replication

Recovery: SCP-XXXX was found at an outdoor market at ██████, █████, being sold as "painted potatoes". A sample was purchased by Agent █████ for further examination. The pheromones excreted by the potato led Agent █████ to consume the potato shortly after. Three weeks later, Agent █████ was found inside of the men's bathroom, having been nearly consumed by the starchy exterior. He was rushed to the medical wing to remove the exterior, but it had completely replaced his epidermis.

Reports in the deceased agent's office led to investigations in ██████, █████, where it was found that the market stall was still open. Agents in the field took possession of the remaining instances of SCP-XXXX-b, and took stall owner A██████ G█████ in for questioning. During questioning, the stall owner refused to answer any questions asked by Foundation staff. It is unknown whether or not there remain other instances of SCP-XXXX or SCP-XXXX-b outside of Foundation possession, which has led to Keter class placement. Mobile Task Force Omega-14 "The Mass O'Peel" have been formed to find and exterminate any further instances of SCP-XXXX.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License