fire pencils
rating: 0+x
pencils.jpg
SCP-1405-1 (without packaging)

Item #: SCP-1405

Object Class: Euclid/Keter

Special Containment Procedures: SCP-1405-1 is to be kept in a fireproof safe when not being tested. Staff must wear gloves and long sleeves/trousers when handling SCP-1405-1. Face masks are also recommended. Personnel are not allowed to bring any small items into the same room as SCP-1405 and are not allowed to wear clothes with pockets when in the same room as SCP-1405.

SCP-1405-[2-32] are to kept in separate fireproof safes and are to checked once a week by Class D Personnel wearing fireproof protective clothing. SCP-1405-5 and SCP-1405-13, which are too large to be contained in a fireproof safe, are to be kept in locked storage rooms fitted with fire doors and smoke alarms. At least two working fire extinguishers must be kept in good working order and placed alongside the storage for each of SCP-1405-[2-32]. SCP-1405-9 must be checked and maintained every day. Extreme care must be taken when checking SCP-1405-8, 1405-14 and SCP-1405-25.

Description: SCP-1405-1 appears to be a collection of household HB pencils, which can be used to mark any solid surface. Whenever SCP-1405-1 is used to write or draw on an object, that object will eventually spontaneously ignite and continue to burn until further oxidation is impossible. The period of time between marking an object with SCP-1405 and ignition cannot be predicted. The effect can be instantaneous (as in the case with Mr █████ and the ███████ ████ tests) or can take several months/years. Objects SCP-1405-[2-32] have all been marked with SCP-1405-1 and remain unaffected so far. Attempts to stop a marked object from burning, or to preemptively ignite them have all ended in failure.

Several objects have been in contact with SCP-1405-1, both within the Foundation and outside. No fewer than 14 [fourteen] fires at residential and industrial addresses are suspected to have been caused by objects marked by SCP-1405-1. On at least two occasions clothing on humans has ignited after being marked with SCP-1405-1. (Personnel are reminded not to put any part of SCP-1405-1 in their pockets.)

Test objects have included:

  • combustible objects (including paper, wood, old furniture, unwanted food; all of which burned)
  • non-flammable objects (including metallic objects, a block of ice, various ceramics; which showed evidence of scorching and oxidation, or melted)
  • extremely flammable objects (including a petroleum soaked rag, a canister of hydrogen gas, a strip of magnesium; which reacted causing [REDACTED]. The canister of hydrogen has been assigned the name SCP-1405-6 and remains unaffected so far.)
  • organic matter (including various pot plants, a common cat, a lab mouse, a pigeon; with the reaction of [REDACTED]. The cat remains unaffected and is currently held as SCP-1405-9.)

In the event of a marked object igniting the safest course of action is to isolate the object from other flammable objects until the burning process is complete. This policy applies to organic objects.

Incident 1405-I-1:

SCP involved:SCP-1405-1, SCP-1405-8

Date: ██/██/██

Location: Site 19 cafeteria

Description:

During an early routine test SCP-1405-1 was used to mark a variety of objects. Two Class D Personnel were present for the test, before gloves became mandatory. During the test SCP-1405-1 came into contact with one of the personnel, leaving a mark on his right wrist. Three days later, while in the cafeteria of site 19 the subject experienced an intense burning pain in his right wrist radiating up his arm to his torso, which showed signs of severe burn injuries. Between ten to fifteen minutes later the hair on his body ignited, leading to the combustion of some of his his clothing. He died approximately three minutes later of asphyxiation. Other staff attempted to use a fire blanket and fire extinguisher on the subject, dousing the flaming clothing, but the subject continued to burn.

The CCTV footage of the incident has been classified and stored at █████ ████, and has been the subject of repeated study. At the time of contact with SCP-1405-1 the subject was attempting to mark SCP-1405-8, a commercial firework. SCP-1405-8 remains in storage. Class D Personnel appear reluctant to check the status of SCP-1405-8. Senior staff suspect this may relate to superstitious beliefs regarding the fate of the aforementioned subject.

Incident 1405-I-2:

SCP involved:SCP-1405-1

Date: ██/██/██

Location: Office of Dr ██████

Description:

During routine testing Dr ██████, assisted by a member of Class D personnel was conducting tests on SCP-1405-1. To facilitate record keeping Dr ██████ asked for written notes. The Class D Personnel used SCP-1405-1 to take notes in a standard laboratory log book, which Dr ██████ collected at the end of the study. 34 days letter the notes ignited in Dr ██████'s office, causing a fire which spread across five rooms, irreparably damaging and destroying case notes amounting to approximately nine months of tests on various SCPs. The estimated cost of the damage was $██m. The fire blocked access to escape routes (with conventional fire escapes inaccessible due to security measures in the wing.) Four members of auxiliary staff died in the fire. Review of fire escapes proposed and postponed indefinitely.

SCP-1405-1 (including its packaging) appears to be entirely non-flammable and incapable of leaving a mark on itself. SCP-1405-1 has been subjected to a flame of 3100°C for extended periods of time without showing any signs of burning or scorching.

SCP-1405-1 was recovered from a factory in ██████, ██ after the facility burned to the ground. The batch number and date of production are not known.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License