Koerbstomp
rating: 0+x
98167main_0201079_fs.jpg
Metal sample taken from [DATA EXPUNGED] with evidence of tunneling from SCP-555

Item #: SCP-XXX

Object Class: Euclid

Special Containment Procedures: Specimens are to be contained in a 1.0m x 0.5m x 0.5m plexiglass terrarium or other non-metallic material, filled approximately 1/3 with native [DATA EXPUNGED] soil. Specimens must be given a small chunk of steel or other iron-based alloy no smaller than ██cm3, along with █ tsp petroleum-based industrial lubricant on a bi-weekly basis. Terrarium is located within Containment Room RX-73, outfitted with aerosol sprayers loaded with 7.6 L DDT, to be released upon containment breach.

Description: SCP-XXX is a previously undiscovered species of ant of the Acromyrmex genus, more commonly known as leafcutter ants. However, instead of utilizing local foliage as food sources, these ants consume any iron-based metallic alloy or compound. The jaws of SCP-555 are incredibly strong, allowing for specimens to strip █ tons of metal in as little as █ hours. Specimens have shown no preference as to particular types of metals used for food.

Originally discovered in ███████, Argentina outside of an auto parts production plant. Reports of engine blocks failing due to internal damage warranted further investigation by local officials, where SCP-XXX colonies were discovered living in scrap metal yards and utilizing the manufactured parts as food. After the foundry building collapsed due to “structural integrity issues,” Foundation agents retrieved samples of SCP-XXX and neutralized all known colonies to prevent other building collapses in the area.

Addendum: Upon further investigation, SCP-XXX harbors a variation of fungi found on other species of leafcutter ants (of the family Lepiotaceae), feeding SCP-XXX larvae while they mature. Specimens of SCP-XXX feed the fungus (hereby designated SCP-XXX-1) with a mixture of masticated metal shavings and various industrial lubricants, usually harvested from sites near the nest. Digestion mechanisms of both SCP-XXX and SCP-XXX-1 are still unknown.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License