Pemander007
rating: 0+x
b1mI4.jpg
SCP-XXX

Item #: SCP-XXXX

Object Class: Safe/Euclid/Keter (indicate which class)

Special Containment Procedures: [Paragraphs explaining the Procedures]

Description: SCP-XXX is a small plush toy that has been fitted with a pair of plastic dentures and two large plastic eyes. Tests have shown that both the fabric and plastics that were used in its construction are of common origin and possess no abnormal qualities by themselves. Although it is currently theorized that SCP-XXX is quite destructible, attempts to destroy it have proven ineffective due to an effect that occurs in subjects attempting to undertake action which would be harmful to SCP-XXX. In every case a subject was ordered to attempt such an action, they reported a strong feeling of unease and a belief that if they obeyed their orders, "something bad would happen". Persons suffering from the effect will refuse to harm SCP-XXX, even under threat of death. It does not appear to be necessary for a person to understand exactly how their actions would damage SCP-XXX for this to occur.

SCP-XXX's anomalous effect manifests for five minutes every hour beginning on the hour, and is signified by the chattering of SCP-XXX's attached teeth, despite the fact that it lacks any sort of mechanism that would enable this to happen. When the teeth begin chattering, any individuals within three meters that are suffering from gingivitis, periodontal disease, halitosis, or other conditions associated with improper oral hygiene, will hear a voice emanating from SCP-XXX which says one of several encouraging phrases regarding proper home dental care.

For the next 48 hours after hearing SCP-XXX speak, subjects will demonstrate the closest to ideal dental hygiene that their situation allows, brushing and flossing after meals and regularly in-between if the necessary tools are available, as well as communicating a general satisfaction with the condition of their teeth and gums. However, once past the 48 hour mark, affected individuals will begin obsessively monitoring their mouths and abstain from the consumption of any food or drink besides water. Manic brushing and flossing of the teeth and gums have also been reported. This phase of SCP-XXX exposure lasts roughly twelve hours and rarely results in significant injury.

At this point, an estimated 90% of test subjects stop exhibiting symptoms associated with SCP-XXX, while the remainder progress to the third stage of symptoms. Individuals at this stage will resort to extremely harmful methods of dental care, such as the following.

  • Removal of the tongue due to the fact that it "impedes brushing"
  • Flossing to the point of causing deep lacerations to the gum line
  • Use of highly acidic and deadly substances as toothpaste
  • Installation of custom orthodontic headgear using available materials

Addendum: [Optional additional paragraphs]

Item #: SCP-XXX

Object Class: Safe/Euclid/Keter (indicate which class)

Special Containment Procedures: [Paragraphs explaining the Procedures]

Description: SCP-XXX is an entity which consists of a large and flat central mass with a number of growths extending upward. SCP-XXX models the growths after plant life native to the area in which it is found, giving it the appearance of an ordinary extension of the ecosystem. Although SCP-XXX has been found feeding in many different ecosystems, it seems to prefer heavily forested areas with a wide variety of plant and animal species. Instances of SCP-XXX have been known to use the same hunting ground for long periods of time, and have no qualms about setting up hunting grounds near human settlements, which often results in rumors that the area is "cursed" or "haunted". Fortunately, this minimizes human casualties and makes it much easier to locate and capture instances of SCP-XXX. At the time this report is being written, there are 23 instances of SCP-XXX in containment, but estimates put the worldwide total at somewhere around ██.

SCP-XXX has two primary stages in its life cycle. The first, which can last up to two years, only occurs when SCP-XXX is adjusting to a new hunting ground. SCP-XXX buries itself under a thin layer of earth and remains mostly dormant, often allowing a host of natural plant life to accumulate on its surface in addition to the growths it uses for camouflage. All of the growths are capable of obtaining nourishment for SCP-XXX in the same manner as the plant life that they resemble. The preferred method of energy-gathering used by SCP-XXX growths seems to be photosynthesis, but regardless of the method used, the growths are up to three times more effective at gathering energy than the species they resemble. Other than this aspect, the only difference between the growths and the native species is that the growths have small spines that are used to collect DNA samples from any animal that makes contact with them. The DNA samples are ferried to SCP-XXX's body and are stored in extremely small sacs present throughout its mass.

When SCP-XXX has obtained a sufficient amount of DNA, it progresses to stage two of its life cycle. During this stage, SCP-XXX uses the extra energy obtained by its growths to produce a female member of an animal species, often with ideal qualities for mating, which it will use as a lure (see addendum XXX-1). XXX will only use a single species for a limited amount of time before switching to a different one, most likely to prevent the animals from adjusting to its presence. Once the copy is complete, SCP-XXX uses factors such as hormone production and mating calls to lure males of the same species to SCP-XXX's hunting ground. When a male gets close enough to the lure, SCP-XXX uses hooked tendrils from its central mass to grab the creature and pull it down, while other tendrils dig into the earth so that the animal can be pulled directly to SCP-XXX's central mass. Once the animal is entirely below ground-level, the tendrils re-cover the area while SCP-XXX produces digestive enzymes to consume the animal. When SCP-XXX is done hunting in an area it uses its tendrils to completely uncover itself and compresses its entire mass into a ball, then rolls itself to a new area.

Addendum: XXX-1

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License