Retrocausality Torus

Item #: SCP-XXX

Object Class: Keter

bronze-torus.gif
Computer simulation of SCP-XX in operation. Test subject would be located in the middle. .
torus6.jpg
SCP-XX while inert. note: blurring is not a photographic artifact

Special Containment Procedures:
SCP-XX is to be secured in a bunker 300M underground accessible only by elevator requiring active measures at both ends to operate. Armed guards are to be present at both ends. In case of incursion from within or without, the elevator shaft is to have an explosive self-destruct activated rendering it impassable.

Note: Detonation is also at the discretion of O5 level administrators.

Description
SCP-XX appears in its inactive state to be a bronze torus of unknown manufacture. It is marked with grey, raised features or glyphs, the presumption being that they act as control surfaces. SCP-XX has a major diameter of 121cm and a minor diameter of 28 cm.
It is visually difficult to focus on the artifact as it appears to bend light slightly. Mild, fluxuating gravitational effects have also been observed.
It has proven impossible to take a sample of the artifact. Spectrographic attempts have proven inconsistent. Although not particularly heavy (weighing ~40Kg), inerital and angular momentum studies suggest that neutronium1 - - albeit in vanishingly small quantities - - may be present in the core of the mechanism.

SCP-XX demonstrates its anomalous properties when it is handled by a human being. When moderate force is applied to it, it will being to deform in unpredictable ways. As deformation progresses, its material composition will apear to change, at which point it will become animate, surrounding the subject and undulating at a high rate of speed. Its primary effects will manifest themselves when an unpredictable threshold is met. Afterwhich, the artifact quickly returns to its inert state.

At this point, the subject will have been endowed with memories of a radically different past. The more pronounced the deformation, the more divergent the memories. It is hypothesized that the glyphs, in some indecipherable way, effect the degree of deformation and its resultant effects.

Recovery Log
SCP-XX Was recovered in late 2001 from a core-sample extracted [XX]Km deep during a petrochemical survey near Zackenburg, Greenland. Based on the depth from which it was recovered along with corroborating paleoatmospheric readings, the artifact is estimated to be $2.1 \pm .3$ million years old.

Foundation personnel intercepted the radio transmission of its discovery, subsequently securing the artifact. Class B amnesics were administered to the personnel in Greenland, along with those individuals at the governing authority in Denmark who had been made aware of its discovery.

Classified
The unauthorized viewing of the following material is prohibited without the unanimous consent of all O5 level administrators. Failure to follow this directive will result in immediate termination, as well as the termination of any other personnel made aware of this material.

Note: this directive is recinded in the event of an immanent XK-class event.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License