Rikoshi's Sandbox

Item #: SCP-1387

Object Class: Safe

Special Containment Procedures: The original piece of parchment detailing SCP-1387 is to be kept in a metal safe when not undergoing testing. The safe is to be secured in a storage room at Site-██, with other low-maintenance SCPs. A single copy of this parchment, on modern paper, is to be kept in a similar safe, in a separate storage room. No copies of either the original parchment or the modern paper copy are to be made without authorization from personnel with security clearance level 2 or higher.

Description: SCP-1387 is a grouping of stars that does not correspond to any official constellations or common asterisms in modern use. The center of the grouping in question is located at ██h ██m ██.█s, +██° █′██.██″ and is visible in full at latitudes between +██° and -██°. The shape of the grouping itself greatly resembles the ███████ glyph █.

Subjects who both observe SCP-1387 and are aware of the grouping's form initially become transfixed at the sight of SCP-1387. Within an average of 3 to 5 seconds after initial observation, the subject will experience increased heart rate and quickened breathing, and the subject's pupils will dilate significantly. At around 8 to 10 seconds after initial observation, the subject will typically look away from SCP-1387 and begin to show signs of severe emotional distress such as weeping, sobbing, panicked vocalizations and sometimes fainting.

Following such observation of SCP-1387, subjects will invariably fall into a long-term depressive or (rarely) a catatonic state. Subjects will be inconsolable through normal psychological and psychiatric means, and suicidal tendencies are extremely common. When asked about the source of their distress, subjects will be unable to properly expound upon it, speaking only in vague terms about topics such as pointlessness, futility, hopelessness, and so forth.

No attempts to obtain further detail from subjects via use of hypnosis have been successful. However, Class B amnesiacs have been shown to be successful in remedying the psychological distress experienced by subjects who have observed SCP-1387.

While the effects of observing SCP-1387 appear to be contingent on knowing the grouping's form, they do not appear dependent on the observer recognizing the glyph █ or any ability to speak or understand the ███████ language. Observation of SCP-1387 without knowledge of the grouping's form does not appear to result in any effect.

The original parchment detailing SCP-1387 depicts an astronomical figure, with annotations in Arabic, Latin, and █████████. The parchment itself is roughly 20cm by 16.25cm in size, and displays no anomalous properties of its own. Best estimates as to the age of the parchment date it to the 12th or 13 Century, and it is theorized that it may relate to [DATA EXPUNGED].

Addendum 1387-1: Data analysis on space telescope observations ranging from ██/██/19██ to ██/██/19██ do not show any anomalies in or around the visible area of sky comprising SCP-1387.

Addendum 1387-2: With the planned launch of [REDACTED] in 20██, more detailed observation of SCP-1387 seems prudent. Agents are already in place at relevant institutions for covert data capturing, under authorization of O5-█.

Experiment Log:

Test 1387-0
Date: ██/██/20██
Time: 21:09
Weather Conditions: Clear
Details: Subject was directed to observe the nighttime sky at SCP-1387's position.
Results: Subject demonstrated no anomalous reaction.

Test 1387-1
Date: ██/██/20██
Time: 21:12
Weather Conditions: Clear
Details: Subject was shown the original parchment detailing the form of SCP-1387 and then directed to observe the relevant location in the nighttime sky.
Results: Subject stared vapidly into the sky for roughly four seconds, then took one panicked breath. After roughly six seconds of observation, the subject looked away from the sky and began to scream and stammer incoherently. Upon begin subdued by on-site personnel, the subject began to sob uncontrollably for several minutes before going completely silent.
Notes: Subject was given a Class B amnesiac on ██/██/20██ and has shown no ill effects since.

Test 1387-2
Date: ██/██/20██
Time: 20:17
Weather Conditions: Partly Cloudy
Details: Subject was shown the modern paper copy of the parchment detailing the form of SCP-1387 and then directed to observe the relevant location in the nighttime sky.
Results: Subject stared up into the sky for four seconds, breath visibly and audibly quickening all the while. After nine seconds of observation, subject covered eyes with hands and began repeatedly shouting the word "No!" When personnel attempted to subdue the subject, the subject attempted to token physical resistance, but was easily overpowered. Roughly five minutes later, the subject became docile and started weeping silently.
Notes: Subject was given a Class B amnesiac on ██/██/20██ and has shown no ill effects since.

Test 1387-3
Date: ██/██/20██
Time: 01:31
Weather Conditions: Clear
Details: Subject was shown a piece of paper upon which the ███████ glyph █ was written and then directed to observe the nighttime sky at SCP-1387's position.
Results: For roughly eight seconds, the subject showed no anomalous response, then declared, "Oh, there, I see it." Roughly six seconds afterward, the subjected shouted the words, "Oh, God!" before attempting to relieve Agent ██████ of his sidearm. While restrained by on-site personnel, the subject then begged personnel, "Please, please, just kill me now." Subject was rendered unconscious via an injection of [REDACTED].
Notes: While unconscious, subject was given a Class B amnesiac and has shown no ill effects since.

Test 1387-4
Date: ██/██/20██
Time: 11:28
Weather Conditions: Overcast
Details: Subject was shown the original parchment detailing the form of SCP-1387 and then directed to observe the relevant location in the nighttime sky.
Results: Subject demonstrated no anomalous reaction.
Notes: Cloud cover made observation of the stars making up SCP-1387 impossible with the naked eye. Class B amnesiac administered to subject.

Test 1387-5
Date: ██/██/20██
Time: 10:18
Weather Conditions: Clear
Details: Dr. ████████ ██████, an archaeolinguistics expert well-versed in the ███████ language, was directed to observe the nighttime sky at SCP-1387's position. No visual aids were provided.
Results: [DATA EXPUNGED]

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License