Shortcut Car
rating: 0+x
Infiniti.jpg
SCP-XXXX outside of Site-419, powered down. LED-strips are not visible in pylons and door.

Item #: SCP-XXXX

Object Class: Safe

Special Containment Procedures: Ignition key to SCP-XXXX is to be kept separate in a locked strong box. Additionally, the wheels are to be immobilized by wheel clamps, and the buses to the computer in the back are to be kept disconnected. SCP-XXXX is not to be fueled, except for testing purposes. At the end of any test run, remaining fuel is to be drained from the tank via a flexible probe.
SCP-XXXX's engine block is to be inspected bimonthly for signs of corrosion or damage. Additional inspection of the drive train, transmission, and steering is to be conducted prior to the commencement of any test run, as well as after the completion of any successful test. Should testing end in failure, temporary containment is to be enacted around the crash site. SCP-XXXX should not be moved, in order to facilitate repairs.
Test runs are to be conducted from a remote location in order to avoid arousing suspicion. Destinations should be chosen carefully, in order to prevent courses from intersecting known population centers or major roadways. Recovery teams are to be stationed at regular intervals along the projected course, with aerial tracking of vehicle location if possible. All personnel to be used for testing must pass an offensive driving course (Batesman-Lightfield combat driving preferred). No other restrictions necessary.

Description: SCP-XXXX is a modified Infiniti FX45-model SUV. The car has been subjected to numerous modifications by the previous owner, including the addition of a car computer1, modifications to the dash-mounted multifunctional display and ignition system, installation of a heads-up display under the windshield and several blue LED-strips in the A-pylons and front doors (cosmetic enhancements of unknown purpose), and performance tuning of the engine.

INFINITI%2520Dash.jpg
Interior of SCP-XXXX. Compartment to the right of gearshift contains USB-port and iPod dock, as well as 3.5 mm female jack.

SCP-XXXX's car computer is directly wired into the ignition system, and prevents engine start unless two conditions are met upon turning the key:

  • A destination has been entered into SCP-XXXX's dash-mounted display, which functions as a GPS screen at start. The software used is unknown, but appears to receive map updates wirelessly through the roof-mounted radio antenna. Coordinates can also be used to specify a destination, entered in a variety of formats.
  • An audio file has been supplied to SCP-XXXX's sound system, through one of a variety of means (USB, iPod dock, compact disc, etc). The file must be longer than three (3) minutes in duration, and must contain audio data in the 20-20,000Hz range, suitable for human perception. Accepted file formats so far include MP3, WAV, FLAC, and PCM, although others may be accepted as well.

Once these conditions are met, the ignition key may be turned further to start the engine.

At this point, the multifunctional display may be used to its original application (displaying environmental data, engine statistics, route information, sound system settings, etc). The HUD is also activated, projecting speed, heading, fuel reserves, and the destination point and ETA on the windshield. The car may be driven normally, as long as the driver does not accelerate over fifty (50) kilometers per hour.

SCP-XXXX's anomalous effect manifests when the driver accelerates the vehicle over fifty (50) km/h. When this speed limit is passed, the HUD displays a large countdown from five (5) seconds, while an unidentified female voice announces "Charging" through the vehicle sound system. Should the driver reduce speed below the limit before the countdown ends, normal operation resumes. If speed is maintained or increased further, the vehicle transitions into another dimension with all hands on board. A significant electromagnetic burst is emitted, along with several kinds of exotic particles and radiation, but the process is not well understood. Tacking devices lose signal at this point, but the vehicle's approximate position in our world can be estimated using the classical relationship between distance, time, and speed, in order to track the vehicle for recovery teams.

The alternate dimension appears to be thematically linked to the audio file in question, suggesting advanced voice recognition capabilities. Here, the vehicle is confined to a pre-set track, determined by the pitch and volume changes of the audio file2, as well as an apparently random seed value, and is capable of speed and acceleration beyond its factory specifications (also beyond what observed tuning would suggest).
Upon entry, the female voice will wish the driver good luck, and the vehicle will be assaulted by an unknown number of predatory organisms. Exact appearance varies according to the track being played, but always appear thematically linked to the track's contents, with adaptations for excessive land speed (well-developed leg musculature, possibly reversed knee joints, flexible spinal column, etc), and are most often quadrupedal. The organisms appear capable of significant bursts of speed, enough to catch up to the vehicle regardless of its current speed, and are capable of matching the vehicle's speed for extended periods. They appear to be highly territorial pack hunters (although no specific prey animal has ever been observed), who view the vehicle as an intruder, and attack accordingly, using claws and other attack mechanisms available. As the vehicle possesses no significant enhancements to its durability, these attacks will be highly damaging, causing failure in usually three to five (3-5) assaults. However, due to their optimization for speed, the organisms themselves lack significant durability, and can be disabled by ramming them sideways. Head-on ramming is not recommended due to quick reaction speeds and ability to evade the attack. Aggressive driving and full utilization of the vehicle's enhanced characteristics and mass is recommended for maximum chance of survival.

The vehicle will remain in this dimension for the duration of the track loaded (unless disabling damage is sustained), at which point it will transition back to our dimension, accompanied by another radiation and electromagnetic burst, at the destination coordinates, moving at app. double its entry velocity, in the same direction it was moving when it transitioned out (the navigation system appears to keep track of the vehicle's position and heading, and adjusts its heading accordingly, in order to avoid rematerializing inside solid matter, or in order to avoid a collision immediately after rematerializing).
Should enough damage be sustained from the attacking organisms, the vehicle will abruptly transition back into our dimension, travelling at potentially extreme velocities (as dictated by the classical relationship between speed, time, and distance). However, the minimum return velocity in such cases has never been observed to be below 250 km/h, which results in massive damage to the vehicle body, usually instantly fatal to any occupants.
Following such a crash, the car computer is observed to reboot after app. thirty-three (33) minutes, regardless of damage sustained, and begin what has tentatively been dubbed a "repair sequence", during which the car will reassemble itself from the scattered pieces, sometimes cannibalizing local materials to aid in the repairs. How it is able to manipulate its surroundings is unknown, but strong electromagnetic fields have been observed around objects being manipulated, emanating from the headlights, the engine block, and the highlights. Whether or not this bears significance remains to be seen.

Addendum: [Optional additional paragraphs]

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License