Sorsolier

Item #: SCP-XXXX

Object Class: Euclid

Special Containment Procedure: SCP-XXXX is to be placed on an oak block (see below) every morning at 10:00 am (in accordance with local timezone) in a room of dimensions 7 metres x 7 metres x 3 metres, with exactly one doorway and no windows or other gaps of any nature. This room must be connected adjacently to one room of similar description, but with two doors – one of which joins the initial room, and one of which joins to a room similar to itself. Before connecting with the sector, this site may consist of no less than three rooms connected in series by doors (each a single piece of solid oak, no windows allowed, no locks), with a gap between the bottom or top of the door and their respective floors or doorframes of no less than 13mm, and no more than 16 mm.

The final door separating this site from the sector is to be similar to the others and is not to be locked in any way, shape or form – although sufficient warning should be provided, and additional security which will not affect the door itself may be implemented.
The interior of each room is to be coated in a lead-based paint of any colour (it has been suggested white, but this recommendation has no discernible basis) to a thickness of at least 5mm. The rooms will be checked daily for any cracks, crevices or penetration of any kind in the paint coating.

The room furthest from the sector entrance and middle rooms will each contain a simple 1 cubic metre block of oak sat in the very centre of the room, whereas the room which connects to the sector will contain a king-sized mattress, two sheets and two covers (material is non-specific).

Every night at 5:30 pm (in accordance with local timezone) a D-Class subject will be weighed and placed in the bed, and will be tranquilized in accordance to their weight with enough agent to cause them to sleep until estimated 9:00 am (in accordance with local timezone) the next day. The next day, the artefact will have moved one room toward the D-Class subject, and will be resting on the oak block. The process is to be repeated – the artefact will be replaced on the oak block in the end room furthest from any escape from its containment, and all doors will be closed, but not locked in any way.

There is to be no video surveillance implemented in ANY room, as doing suck would compromise the structural integrity of the room. In accordance with this, any and all lighting used should be battery-powered and attached with adhesive, as power cords and nails would compromise structural integrity. All personnel entering are to wear designated padded slippers at all times and gloves to prevent scratching or damage to the room or any surface.

Description: SCP-XXXX appears to be an ancient Greek vase, black in colour. The most unusual aspect is a small gold badge attached to the front by unknown means, bearing an image with striking resemblance to [REDACTED]- which was unheard of until ███ years after the period of the piece. And even stranger still, radiocarbon-dating uncovers that in fact, it was created in ████ ██. On the opposite side of the badge, the surface is scratched rather deeply with tally marks – adding to a total of ███.

In light of recent tests conducted upon the artefact, the badge has been discovered not to be gold, but rather [REDACTED], a synthetic element. Origins of [DATA EXPUNGED].

The artefact was discovered following a murder investigation in ████████, Texas where the vase mysteriously disappeared from an evidence locker in a police station. Two days following the disappearance, it was relocated when a young officer arrived early in the morning at the station. It was found again in the office chair of Constable ████, whom had been presumably working late that night on the case. The vase was replaced in the locker, but Constable ████ was never seen again. Alarm was raised when further inspection of the vase revealed a difference in photographs taken of the vase before and after it disappeared and reappeared. While the prior photographs showed a tally of ███, new photographs taken showed a tally of ███ - one more than beforehand.

The artefact is capable of moving all on its own every night at an unknown time, and by unknown means. All attempts to observe this have failed. In initial testing, the artefact was placed in a simple room with a single door and no windows, with a video feed observing. Those viewing the feed [DATA EXPUNGED]. Upon reviewing footage, the room around the object – as the room wherein the viewers had been sitting – grew completely black for a moment, and then grew clear again. The footage showed the room now empty of the artefact, while the security feed which had been watching those viewing – after the blackness shad receded – showed [DATA EXPUNGED]. The artefact had gained yet another tally mark on the back.

Secondary testing occurred similarly to the first, but with a D-Class subject sleeping in an adjacent room, with a video feed watching him. In the morning, the door between rooms was wide open at an exact 90 degree angle to the wall. The footage revealed a similar fate to that which occurred to viewers of the first test, except the covers of the bed lay around it, as if torn off and flung. The artefact had gained a further tally mark, contributing a piece of particularly sinister history.

The third test involved the artefact being sealed in a doorless, windowless room with no video feed watching it. Surrounding this room were four rooms, each adjacent and sharing a wall. One room contained a D-Class subject, while the others were empty. The wall of the room shared with the subject’s room proceeded to explode at exactly ██ am the following night, and the artefact was found on the subject’s bed – not a trace of him found, and with covers strewn across the room. Examination of debris patterns revealed the source of the explosion came from the room which had contained the artefact, as the debris was spread across the subject’s room alone. Another tally mark was found.

The fourth test had the artefact placed in one room with two doorways, in a complex consisting of four rooms arranged in a square. Rather than follow the circuit around, it somehow sensed that no human was present in the allowed area, and again broke out. Fortunately, no human was present in the room adjacent, and no harm was done.

The fifth test had the artefact placed in a situation similar to test four, except with a window placed in one room adjacent. The artefact appeared in this room with the window. Further testing meant moving the artefact into different rooms and watching it advance one room per night toward the window, appearing on a piece of furniture in each room each night, if one was available.
All tests above were conducted in a bunker underground. It is unknown what effect being outside will have on the artefact, or how it would respond during its movement phase.

The artefact seems to possess the ability to sense the nearest human being to it – or rather, the human being it can reach the quickest. Further testing has revealed the artefact travels every night at the same time, at ██ am. The artefact prioritises the path which will take it toward a human the fastest (least number of rooms travelled), but if multiple routes are equally quick, it prioritises the route which takes it to the southernmost target (needs to be verified in [REDACTED] hemisphere). If a door or window is available, it will appear in the room on the other side – somehow opening the door or window in the process – even if a human is immediately close, but on the other side of a solid wall. Priority is a doorway or window, second priority is distance to target. It is speculated that the artefact views an observing camera as an effective doorway, explaining its behaviour in test 1.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License