teaflower

One can tell how well that went, after it never ever got posted.

rating: 0+x

Item #: SCP-XXX

Object Class: Euclid

Special Containment Procedures: All contained instances of SCP-XXX are to be kept in a glass case, 60cm x 60 cm x 20 cm. The top of the case should be fitted with glass, with small holes allowing air into the enclosure. The case itself should be filled to the 10 cm mark with coarse sand. Any remarkable change in the dwellings of SCP-XXX should be noted. Twice a day, a mouse or other such small animal should be placed in the enclosure for feeding purposes. In the event of a containment breach, D-class personnel should be sent in, armed with flamethrowers and airtight suits. Should eggs be observed within the enclosure, they should be separated from the main containment unit and burnt. Clearance level 3 is required to perform tests with SCP-XXX eggs.

Should any examples of SCP-XXX appear in the wild, they are to be burnt immediately and the location cleansed.

Description: SCP-XXX appears to be a member of the order ixodia, physically similar to ixodes scapularis (deer tick). Like others of its order, SCP-XXX is a parasitic lifeform, gathering nutrients from mammals. It uses the same manner of attack as others in order ixodia, latching onto and engorging itself on the host animal. However unlike other such creatures, SCP-XXX does not engorge itself on blood. Instead, it lives off of the sodium content of mammals. Within three hours of initial attack from SCP-XXX, homeostasis of the victim is disrupted, and death following about three hours later. Symptoms include headaches, nausea, dizziness, vomiting, and fainting. Aside from the absorption of salts, SCP-XXX carries diseases regularly transmitted by other ticks, including Lyme disease. Other tests as to what diseases, if any, can be transmitted by SCP-XXX are pending.

SCP-XXX has a life cycle similar to ixodes scapularis. Nymphs hatch from eggs, and after one saltmeal the next stage can begin. A female cannot reproduce until she has had a complete salt meal. SCP-XXX, however, has a lengthened life span. Instead of 2 years, specimens of SCP-XXX have been observed to live for █ years. SCP-XXX lays eggs much like ixodes scapularis, but these eggs have been shown to have a higher amount of sodium than usual. Handling the eggs with bare flesh has been known to cause minor chemical burns to the skin.

Addendum: SCP-XXX was first discovered in a small town in █████████, ██████. A series of animal deaths were reported, with the animals in question appearing to have been sucked dry. The residents claimed it was the work of a demon, and authorities were called in when small children began to show symptoms of SCP-XXX exposure. Medical professionals were confused by the odd damage caused by what were assumed to be normal dear ticks. Agents monitoring █████ and █████ channels were sent to the site. Several instances were collected and the town was issued a Class-B amnesiac, having them believe it was [DATA EXPUNGED].

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License